Monday, April 5, 2010

Chungking Express (1994)

This movie definitely goes on my list of favourites. It tells two stories in sequence, each involving a policeman struggling with heartbreak and uncertainty in loneliness. The themes are bought out nicely with simple, clever screenplay and beautiful cinematography. I particularly enjoyed the second story and Faye Wong's character. Somehow, I thought about Taxi Driver (Robert DeNiro) while watching the first half. Watch movie here.

"We split up on April Fool's Day. Everyday I buy a can of pineapple with a sell-date of May 1. May loves pineapple... and May 1 is my birthday. If May hasn't changed her mind by the time I buy 30 cans then our love will also expire."

**NOTE: I've been watching Mandarin/Cantonese movies on YouTube since my reacquantance with Takeshi Kaneshiro. I'm on a new mission to watch all of Takeshi's films, and that's how I came across Chungking Express. To quote another female fan, my Takeshi crush has lasted far longer than other celebs. Tonight, I even found myself searching for "is takeshi kaneshiro gay?" on Google to disprove a remark made about his sexual orientation over the dinner table. I had to browse through pages of biography, gossip, photo albums and interviews to find the answer. I came across various responses to the question. Here's one: "Part of me wishes he were gay so that another woman cannot have him... but then, there would go my plans to kidnap him in the middle of the night and make him my love slave." And another: "GAWD ALL WOMEN WOULD DIE IF HE WAS GAY!!!" Haha. I'll join the general consensus and say that Takeshi is straight. This only matters because it means that single female fans can still dream. I would never bother with these things, but the more I read about him, the more I realise what an incredibly magnetic and mysterious character he is. Definitely someone I'd be so intrigued to meet in person. There is something appealing about hot men who get the limelight without craving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment