Sunday, August 7, 2011

Going, Going...Gone


Tonight, I finally decided to sit down and have a browse through my gmail inbox to delete old messages and countless unwanted newsletters.  I had close to 800 unread emails and over 2000 messages, accumulated over the last three-four years. To make things easier, I created a new folder and entitled it "SAVE" and transferred all recent, important emails before marking the remainder for deletion.  I tried to delete the rest with a blind eye, but found myself transferring old email messages from long-lost friends and ex-lovers (uh, not really but you know, potentials) into the SAVE folder.  The whole process was almost like spring-cleaning.  Each time I transferred an old email into the SAVE folder, I knew that I would probably never read the message again or forget about it... yet I wanted to keep it just for old-time's sake.  

After sorting through all my emails and executing the mass deletion, I decided to transfer all the saved messages into my now empty inbox and delete the SAVE folder.  BUT, AHH!  Somehow, I deleted absolutely everything by accident.  By the click of a mousepad--words from which so many memories have been transcribed are now lost forever.  

I felt so disappointed immediately after it happened, but now, I have mixed feelings.  When I see my email account completely void of any message, I get the impression that this is a new beginning.  A clean slate?  The accident could be likened to a catharsis, almost--but a release from what?  If anything, this is a great example of what it means to "cut down on excess"--even if the excess means a few gigabytes in cyberspace.  

So, I have FINALLY decided to delete my hotmail account which was created back in 2000. After years of plotting its demise, rockyval@hotmail.com will become history.  But first, a eulogy in the form of an amusing story.  At one stage, I received "fan mail" from people of different nationalities expressing how happy they were to finally find me on hotmail and MSN.  Apparently, they had seen my YouTube videos and really enjoyed my music.  Back then, I hadn't posted any music online yet so I was really confused.  I got to the bottom of it and found out that there was a girl who performed Avril Lavigne covers on YouTube under the name "Rockyval"!  She dressed like Avril too.  Well, the Lavigne imposter can now have rockyval@hotmail.com--but please, use the domain with dignity.  It was first created as a tribute to one girl's love for THE ROCK aka Dwayne Johnson or "The People's Champ", not for a "Sk8rgirl".  

No comments:

Post a Comment